Connect with us

News

Germany moves to deport 5th batch of Nigerians amidst Coronavirus challenges

u

Despite the corona pandemic, the Regional Council in Karlsruhe is undauntedly preparing the next deportations to Nigeria, The Coordination activist of   Refugee4Refugee, a political platform for refugees/migrants self-organisation based in Stuttgart, Germany,  Rex Osa, has said. 

If the deportation takes place, it would be the fifth time the European country would be sending back Nigerians within a space of three months this year. The last deportation was on February 26, 2020. 45 Nigerians were in the chattrered flight that Nigerian government officials scandalously denied. The officials had always denied every deportation from Germany despite overwhelming evidences.  It is yet to be established wjy the Nigerian authorities have unrepentantly denied the deportations.

According to Rex: ” The Green-Christian government of Kretschmann is apparently not interested in the fact that the deportees might also be taken to countries of origin that have so far been largely spared by the pandemic.

“That the deportation coordination department wants to execute the deportation enforcement to Nigeria on 14 April and 18 June at all costs became clear from a court decision of a rejected appeal for the release of two Nigerians in deportation Custody in view of the coronavirus danger.

“Staying in the deportation prison in Pforzheim does not pose any additional danger, since – as the prison director announced on March 16th – newly assigned prisoners would be tested on Corona and isolated on a separate floor until the test results were available.

READ  Covid-19: NIgeria's Foreign Affairs Minister, Onyeama tests positive

He further said: “Here it becomes clear that even more people are to be arrested in order to carry out the planned deportations to Nigeria and other West African states. The deportation department in Karlsruhe confirms to Radio Dreieckland that there is so far still flight possibilities to Nigeria.

“Detainees could only be released only if the federal police or the government of refugee country of origin communicate that deportation is no longer possible to the authorities. Accordingly, several persons have already been released in the past few days.”

The activist hinted that there are currently eight persons in the Pforzheim deportation Custody to include three Nigerians and people from Gambia, Ghana, Pakistan, Turkey, Russland and Greece.

“Like everyone else, those imprisoned in Pforzheim must have the right to protect themselves from corona infection and also the right not to infect their fellow human beings.

“The prisoners fear an infection through prison employees (about 50 people), who may be infected with the viruses. However, they do not want to become the carriers of corona from the high risk area of Germany.

In an effort to stem the spread of the virus in a country that still cannot guarantee its citizens adequate medical care, the Nigerian government issued an entry ban on March 18th for visitors from countries with more than 1000 cases, highlighting Germany as one of the countries with a growing infection rate.”

READ  Rahul Gandhi makes an appeal as migrants march home amid lockdown

The Nigerian Embassy in Germany, he said has at the same time supported the German authorities in preparing deportations.

“From March 16 to 20, alleged Nigerians were forcibly taken to the office of the German Federal Police in Karlsruhe for a deportation hearing with Nigerian embassy delegation who were expected to identify person presume  as Nigerians and issue deportation papers in facilitation of their deportation.

“Unfortunately, the attitude of disregarding the human rights of Refugees during deportation is not new. That the health situation of prisoners in Pforzheim and deportees is endangered is unfortunately not new either.

“That deportations are more important than the protection of people from the corona epidemic has a new quality. Now it is not just about the deportees, now it is about the population of an entire continent.”

The FC according to him answers the question “Am I not contagious if the test result is negative?”:

“Even if the virus is undetectable, the infection can still develop. A negative test result during the incubation period is no guarantee that there is no infection.” (https://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/quarantaene-ansteckung-schutz-opfer-100-fragen-und-antworten-zum-coronavirus)

“Deported individuals can – despite a negative test – transmit the corona virus. With its deportation policy, the Kretschmann government increases the pandemic risk for an entire continent.

READ  30 trafficked Nigerians due home from Lebanon August 12, 16 - NAPTIP DG

“In view of the corona crisis, we demand even more strongly and immediately the release of all deportation prisoners and an end to deportations.”

Would Nigeria, currently struggling to combat the Coronavirus pandemic allow Germany with 32,781 cases and 156 deaths, deport its citizens whose health conditions are not certain?

  Germany’s

Coronavirus cases:

32,781

Deaths:

156

Recovered:

3,133
ACTIVE CASES
29,492
Currently Infected Patients

29,469 (100%)

in Mild Condition

23 (%)

Serious or Critical

Source of statistics: Worldmeter.info

Support Voice for African Migrants


Support VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS journalism of integrity and credibility.

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best and latest migration, trafficking, displacement and humanitarian reports including thorough investigative reports in these areas, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
* are compulsory
cardlogos
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve : *
22 + 11 =


News

Dominican Republic, IOM clear hurdles for 100,000 Venezuelan migrants

The Migration Normalization Plan will allow Venezuelans living irregularly in the Dominican Republic to work, move without risk of deportation, open bank accounts and join the country’s social security system.  Photo: IOM / Francesco Spotorno

 

 

Santo Domingo – The first group of almost 100,000 Venezuelan migrants without legal status in the Dominican Republic have received visas allowing them to work, open bank accounts and join the social security system under the country’s Migration Normalization Plan.

Created by the Dominican government and launched with the support of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the plan aims to regularize the Venezuelan population in three stages: application for extension of stay, visa, and residency. Since April, when the first phase began, 43,000  Venezuelans have registered to extend their stay and, on 1 July, the first group of 21 Venezuelans received their work visa.

“Now that I have my visa, I feel that for others like me a lot of opportunities are opening. We will be able to establish more safely and formally to offer a better future to our children,” says Gabriela Rivero, who arrived in the country with her husband and daughter in 2018.  “Once we settled, we did not imagine how difficult it would be to get a job because the lack of documentation closed all doors.”

READ  Economic shocks of COVID-19 disproportionately affects displaced Venezuelans in Peru, new research finds

Since 2019 Gabriela has led a support organization for Venezuelan migrants in Santiago de los Caballeros called FEV (Fundación Emigrantes de Venezuela), which offers free orientation and helps hundreds of migrants daily to complete their normalization plan applications.

With IOM support, eight Venezuelan migrant organizations have created orientation hubs to assist the Venezuelan population who are applying to the plan. Of the 43,000  registered through the General Directorate of Migration (DGM) web page, around 9,000 have visited the hubs for help on the procedure. The promoters and coordinators of each hub – mostly Venezuelan migrants – have learned the process with the support and guidance of the DGM team and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MIREX). Besides being trained for orientation, they became the pilot group of the plan to receive their extensions and visas.

“The idea of this process is that we are the ones at the front of the hubs, a migrant helping a migrant, a Venezuelan helping a Venezuelan,” says Iván Carrera, a lawyer from Caracas and legal adviser of FUNCOVERD (Fundación Colonia de Venezolanos en RD). Carrera works as a promoter at the orientation hub in El Sambil Santo Domingo, one of the locations with the most people requesting support for their application.

READ  IOM/UNHCR: Relocations in Brazil offer dignity and hope to thousands of Venezuelans

Support Voice for African Migrants


Support VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS journalism of integrity and credibility.

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best and latest migration, trafficking, displacement and humanitarian reports including thorough investigative reports in these areas, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
* are compulsory
cardlogos
Continue Reading

News

IOM launches open South America portal

International Organisation of Migration (

Buenos Aires – IOM, the International Organization for Migration, this week launched the Open South America Portal, a web platform providing migrants and stakeholders in the region with access to reliable and timely information on human mobility restrictions and health and safety measures adopted by governments in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Open South America, available in SpanishEnglish and Portuguese, shares official information by country on the latest measures, including border restrictions, quarantine requirements and COVID-19 tests for migrants and travellers.

The portal also provides updated information on authorized entry points and key places for travellers and migrants, such as consulates, migrant care and health centres, airports, border crossings points and ports. This information can be explored through an interactive map.

The platform, funded by the IOM Development Fund, is also accessible to vulnerable migrants who may be stranded or are at risk of receiving misinformation on migration.

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, South America has been one of the most impacted regions worldwide. According to the World Health Organization figures, as of 8 July 2021 there were 33,475,765 COVID-19 cumulative cases in the region, which represents 89 per cent of the total cases in Latin America, and 18 per cent of all infections recorded globally.

READ  Rahul Gandhi makes an appeal as migrants march home amid lockdown

Countries such as Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador all experienced severe outbreaks. For example, Brazil currently reports the third highest number of cumulative cases (18,855,015) and second highest death toll (526,892) globally.

“Open South America will facilitate orderly, regular and responsible migration in South America amid the uncertain times of COVID-19 and after the pandemic,” said Minister Ana Laura Cachaza, General Director of Consular Affairs of the Government of Argentina.

“Migrants’ access to up-to-date information through innovative online tools is essential considering the changing migration dynamic in the region due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Marcelo Pisani, IOM Regional Director for South America.

Support Voice for African Migrants


Support VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS journalism of integrity and credibility.

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best and latest migration, trafficking, displacement and humanitarian reports including thorough investigative reports in these areas, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
* are compulsory
cardlogos
Continue Reading

News

29,000 Nigerians, Ghanaians, Somalians, other Africans migrated through the Mediterranean Sea to Europe in 2021 —IOM

The International Organisation for Migration has said that 29,000 individuals including Nigerians, Ghanaians, Somalians and other Africans have emigrated to Europe through the Mediterranean Sea this year.

About 13,000 were arrested by the coast guards and returned home while 761 migrants were said to have perished in the sea.

Disclosing this to journalists in Abuja on Friday, the Chief of Mission, IOM Nigeria, Mr Franz Celestin, said less than five per cent of migrants usually made it to Europe, adding that the vast majority stay in Africa.

He further said that a lot of migrants were trafficked within the Economic Community of West African States, adding that Mali was the number one destination point for trafficked Nigerian women.

Responding to questions on the number of people who have undertaken the perilous trip to Europe through the Mediterranean, the IOM Chief said, “A combination of unemployment and underemployment is pushing people to migrate.

READ  IOM, African Union Commission, launch the first Africa Migration Report

“In this year, 29,000 migrants from Sub-Sahara Africa have migrated to Europe through the Mediterranean. About 13,000 were intercepted by the coastguard while 761 died.”

International Organisation of Migration (

Celestin stressed the importance of tackling human trafficking which he said grossed about $150 billion annually.

“Traffickers make a lot of money and they would continue to do it until a coordinated response is evolved to stop them. We are collaborating with Interpol in this respect; we are connected to the Interpol i/247 database. We connected the MIDAS to the Interpol database where we pass the information on traffickers to the Interpol,” he stated.

Celestin explained that the IOM has been involved in the biometric registration of children in the North-East, noting that the agency has registered no fewer than 17,053 children in 18 different internally displaced person camps between 2019 and May 2021 in Borno State.

The agency chief also disclosed that IOM was involved in the G7 Famine Prevention and Humanitarian Compact for North-East.

READ  NAPTIP secures 403 convictions against traffickers, advises against irregular migration

 

Support Voice for African Migrants


Support VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS journalism of integrity and credibility.

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best and latest migration, trafficking, displacement and humanitarian reports including thorough investigative reports in these areas, we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to VOICE FOR AFRICAN MIGRANTS, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
* are compulsory
cardlogos
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Voice for African Migrants. Site Design: Semasir Connect